While I’m enjoying a vacation on the Greek Island of Skiathos, we reimagine a chicken dish shared back in August 2014 on the blog. It is the perfect time of year to be gathering sweet, seasonal red peppers from your local farmers market, or if you’re lucky from your own garden.
This is the first summer in 7 years when I haven’t grown my own, hence my nostalgia for this recipe. It’s a wonderfully simple, smoky sauce, all blitzed up in a small blender and added to any meat you choose.
Any leftovers of the sauce I seriously recommend stirring in some crumbled feta cheese for a fruity, salty and spiced Greek style appetizer served with toasted pita bread.
And while I’m enjoying the best of the Mediterranean, as part of our back to school offer running through the end of August and September, if you purchase 2 Slow Cooker Spice Blends, we will send you a Mediterranean pouch for free. Each pouch includes 2 packets of pre-measured, premium spices, to make the signature recipe included. Just type “back to school” in the order notes section in the shopping cart.
- 2 large, sweet red bell peppers, deseeded and roughly chopped
- 1 hot red pepper * optional
- 1 1/2 tsp / 3 cloves garlic
- 1 tbsp red wine vinegar
- 1/2 tsp salt
- good pinch black pepper
- 1 tsp sweet smoked paprika
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 1/2 – 2 lbs / 900g chicken thighs, boneless and skinless
- in a small food processor, add the peppers, garlic, red wine vinegar, salt, black pepper, smoked paprika, cumin and olive oil and blend until almost smooth
- arrange the chicken thighs in the bottom of your slow cooker
- spread the pepper mixture over the top of the chicken
- cover and cook on LOW for 5-6 hours / HIGH for 2 1/2 - 3 hours
- serve with fresh corn on the cob and green salad
- for 1/2 cup of pepper sauce leftover stir in 1/4 cup of crumbled feta cheese with a generous squeeze of lemon juice, into a small bowl and stir
“The light of Greece opened my eyes, penetrated my pores, expanded my whole being.”