The Zen lab is busier than usual as we prepare a new series of 5 minute prep recipes for all of our spice blends. Continue reading
Flour Bakery carries the tagline “make life sweeter…. eat dessert first!” Well I wasn’t so sure about that but was certain that my love for a freshly baked loaf of bread and sweet pastries at breakfast would not die. Continue reading
Shopping list at a glance: chicken breast, onion, red bell pepper, black beans, canned
tomatoes, tomato paste, chicken broth, tortilla
From your pantry at a glance: oil
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 cup / 1 small onion, diced
- 1 cup / 1 small red bell pepper, diced
- 1 Southwest Fiesta blend
- 1 1/2 lbs chicken breast, skinless
- 1 x 14oz can black beans
- 1 x 14oz can diced tomatoes
- 2 tbsp tomato paste
- 1 chipotle chili in adobo, chopped (optional)
- 4 cups / 32 fl oz chicken broth
- 1 cup / 8 oz water
- 4 corn tortilla toasted and sliced
- lime juice
- cotija or other sharp cheese, crumbled
- 4 scallions, sliced
- light sour cream
- heat the oil in a skillet on a medium heat; sauté the onion and pepper
- transfer the onion mixture to slow cooker
- rub the Southwest Fiesta blend onto the chicken breast; place on top of onion mixture
- add the black beans, tomatoes, tomato paste, chipotle chili, and chicken broth
- stir, cover and cook on LOW" 6 hours or HIGH: 3 hours
- shred the chicken breast in the slow cooker using 2 forks
- ladle into bowls and top with tortilla strips, cilantro, sour cream, and a squeeze of lime juice
- pair with a crisp Syrah rosé, iced tea or light Mexican beer
Shopping list at a glance: butter, sugar, eggs, pumpkin puree, vanilla, 1 tbsp sweet & spicy ground spice blend, chocolate chips.
From your pantry: flour, baking soda, milk
- 1 stick butter, softened (or 1/2 cup light olive oil)
- 1 cup sugar (or 2/3 cup maple syrup)
- 2 eggs
- 3/4 cup / half a 15oz can pumpkin puree
- 1 tsp vanilla extract *we use Nielsen-Massey Madagascar Bourbon Pure Vanilla Extract
- 1 tbsp milk
- 2 cups all purpose flour or *gluten free King Arthur
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tbsp sweet & spicy ground spice blend
- 3/4 cup / 4oz chocolate chips
- spray a 2 pound loaf pan with non stick spray and shake 1 tbsp flour to coat the edges.
- place a piece of aluminum foil onto the bottom of the slow cooker insert and turn onto HIGH.
- in a mixing bowl, blend together the butter and sugar to a paste.
- break the eggs one at a time into the butter and sugar mixture and stir until combined. (This is the wet mixture)
- stir in the pumpkin puree, vanilla extract and milk.
- mix the flour, baking soda, salt and sweet & spicy ground spice blend into the wet mixture before stirring in the chocolate chips.
- pour the cake mixture into your loaf pan and place onto the aluminum foil in your slow cooker. Cover and cook on high for 2 1/2 hours.
- this works well with gluten free King Arthur flour